Textile Factory - Donaldson & McNeill/Fayetteville Manufacturing
Builder: Henry A. Donaldson 1824 - 1826
Built: Fayetteville, NC
Owners: Henry A. Donaldson & George McNeill, 1824 until 1829, when the
General Assembly chartered the Fayetteville Manufacturing Company, owned by
Donaldson and others (see below).
Specifications: By June 1826, the three-story, frame factory had been
completed with up to 1,200 spindles operating. The firm
employed 20 to 50 people. The mill was located on
Notes: Henry A. Donaldson designed and co-owned a cotton
mill in Fayetteville, NC, apparently with George McNeill. As was
typical with many early operations, the construction and
operations were phased in over a period of time.
The factory (apparently referred to the November 1824 ad at right) was in some
limited operation in late 1824. As was common in those days, production often
began on some basis, even before the mill was completed. Selling through local merchant Hugh McLaurin, the factory was
referred to by different names the Donaldson
the Donaldson & McNeill Factory, the Fayetteville Cotton Factory and then
the Fayetteville Manufacturing Company.
Henry A. Donaldson was the chief promoter of the Fayetteville
Manufacturing Company, incorporated by the General Assembly of 1828-29 on January
7, 1829. Donaldson had previously designed Battle's Mill, which later became the Rocky Mount Mills, as well as
this mill in Fayetteville with
partner George McNeill.
In the push to incorporate numerous businesses, the General
the formation of the Fayetteville Manufacturing Company with capital stock to be
more than $10,000 and less than $50,000. The company was authorized to
cotton, hemp, wool and flax.
Subscriptions to stock were to be received by Henry A. Donaldson,
Louis D. Henry,
John Kelly, Hugh McLaurin, Jesse Birdsall and John M. Dobbin. Whether this
company became active as a separate entity or simply was a device to operate and
expand the existing mill is not known.
The factory was idled sometime in the early 1830s, perhaps as a
result of a devastating fire that burned much of Fayetteville on May 29, 1831.
The property was sold to Greensboro(ugh) textile factory owner Henry Humphreys in
1834. But by 1836, Humphreys still had not installed new equipment or reopened the
existing Fayetteville facility.
In April or May 1837, two Guildford men, operating as Benbow &
Company, bought the mill facility from Humphreys. The mill apparently reopened in
late 1837 as the Cross Creek Mill incorporated in 1841 as the Cross Creek
North Carolina Business History web site
to NC Textile Mills, pre-1860
2006 Copyright. CommunicationSolutions/ISI
for web site & content.