Textile Factory - Cross Creek Manufacturing Company
Builder: initially built 1824 - 1826 by Henry A. Donaldson; restored in
Built: Fayetteville, NC
Owners: Benbow & Co. (two individuals from Guildford)
Specifications: Opened in January 1838, with 528 spindles.
Notes: The Donaldson/Fayetteville Manufacturing Company ceased operations
in the early 1830s (prior to 1833), perhaps when much of the town of Fayetteville burned on May
29, 1831. The facility was sold to Greensborough textile owner Henry Humphries
in 1834, but he never implemented restoration, apparently focusing on expanding
his Mount Hecla Mill. In probably April or May 1837, Humphreys sold the facility
to Benbow & Co., which restored and opened the textile factory in January 1838.
By April 1841, the factory had 1,208 spindles, employed 45 people
and consumed 572 cotton bales a year.
The facility was burned by General Sherman's troops in
North Carolina Business History web site
to NC Textile Mills, pre-1860
2006 Copyright. CommunicationSolutions/ISI
for web site & content.